Taking My Lease Car Abroad

Thinking about taking your lease car abroad this Summer?  Well, here you'll find everything that you need to know.

Taking your lease car abroad

Taking your lease car abroad

It is possible to take your lease car abroad, but before you do so, you need to make sure that you're prepared.

Different lease companies have varying rules so it's important that you contact your lease company as soon as you know that you intend to drive your car abroad,

When you contact your lease company, it's important that you have your dates of travel, your destination including details of any country that you'll transit through.  Are you driving through multiple countries to get to your final destination and how long do you intend on being outside of the UK?


Some leasing companies will allow a lease car to be outside of the UK for up to 90 days, whereas other may only permit 30 days.

When you lease a car, the V5 document remains with the finance company.  As in many EU countries you must have the V5 document inside the vehicle whilst it's being driven. 

The leasing company will not provide you with the V5, instead a leasing company will issue a green document of certificate of hire.  Most leasing companies will present this document to you for a full years validity.

It's important that you check on the Countries official website, what documents and packs are required to enable you to drive legally through their country.

For example, in order to drive through Paris, you must apply for a Crit' Air anti pollution permit, which needs to be displayed on your vehicle windscreen.

Mandatory kit items when driving your lease car in Europe

In addition there are mandatory kit items when driving your lease car in Europe, you must ensure that these are accessible within the car at all times.

  • Headlamp beam adjustments, these can be a sticker that fits across the head light, or a more modern car may have automatic dimming lights, where they can be adjusted to driving on the other side of the road.  Without this, you'll likely dazzle oncoming traffic and could cause an accident.
  • Reflective jackets
  • Warning triangles
  • GB sticker on the rear of your car or on your number plate
  • First Aid kit
  • Breathalyzer kit  

Contact your insurance company and advise them the dates that you are outside of the UK.  Some insurance companies include this within your policy, however stipulate that you still must advise them when you intend to take your car abroad.  It's important to ensure that the vehicle is still fully comprehensively insured for the duration of your trip.

Road side assistance.  Whilst you may drive your vehicle in the UK with the comfort and knowledge of a breakdown policy as part of your manufactures warranty, this may not extend to European driving, so make sure that you check before you go. 

We'd strongly recommend that you have a road side assistance plan before driving abroad as this can offer reassurance in a country where you don't know the language or where the nearest garage is, should you break down.

Important documents for driving in Europe

Whenever you plan on driving in Europe, it's important that you have the following documents with you at all times:-

  • Full driving license
  • Certificate of hire
  • Insurance Documents
  • Confirmation of your ferry or tunnel crossing to prove how long you intend to be in their County
  • European Breakdown cover 

Some countries can issue on the spot fines for motoring offenses, therefore we recommend that you have at least 200 euro cash on you every time you're driving.  Since Brexit, it means that EU countries are unable to pursue speeding fines when motorists are in the UK, which increases the chances of them demanding the money there and then whilst you're still in their country.

Plan your trip in advance, know where you can refill with fuel, stop over and be prepared to pay for the use of many roads.  Lots of European main roads are managed by private companies with toll booths.  You can purchase a toll pass in advance, pay cash or by credit/debit card.


Share This Page